Established in February 1812, the Snow Town Library, originally known as the Snow Town Reading Room, provided a small meeting space and a modest collection of books to Snow Town citizens for a minimal fee. From the beginning, our Library was the hub and heart of the Snow Town community. Early settlers created frontier style books clubs, where members would gather by candlelight and read aloud to each other. The late 19th century brought many changes to the Library, as well as the surrounding area. As the population grew, so did the needs of Snow Town's readers. Louise Hoskins, Head Librarian 1889 - 1912, brought the latest novels and periodicals to Snow Town. Louise was a true believer and early adapter of the Librarian Code of Ethics. She was a maverick. Intellectual freedom came first with Louise, and she famously defeated many attempts to censor Snow Town Library's collection of books. Also a natural at fund raising, Miss Hoskins held formal teas and informal card parties that, over time, paid for the grand brick building that we enjoy today.